11.20.2011

Quick & Simple Crafts!

Today, I finally made a much needed trip to Michaels. I snagged some more of their votive holders because I have become obsessed with glitterizing them. They look awesome! I made a few gold and silver ones to go along with the red one I made the other day: 



After doing a few of those, I decided to try a cute idea I saw on Pinterest using rubber bands and spray paint. 
Here's what I used: 
spray paint $3/ea., rubber bands, votive holders $2/ea.
and gloss spray/sealant $10.
First, wrap the rubber bands around the votive holders however you like... mine look like this (although I should note, your rubber bands should be flat against the glass and not twisted like mine are... I took the picture before I fixed it! Whoops!)

After that, I took the votive holders outside and spray painted them.



After letting the paint dry, I took off the rubber bands, scraped off any paint bumps from where the rubber bands were resting, and Voila!



and with the lights out...
While I was waiting for the paint to dry on those bad boys, I finished up a project I started last night. First, you take a canvas and draw a design on it with Elmer's Glue. I used a canvas that I had already painted a ridiculous fuschia color for no reason and made some funky flowers.


I let the glue dry on the canvas overnight until it was all clear. It looked a little something like this:



After the glue dried, I painted over it with purple acrylic paint. 



I love that you can still see the fuschia color subtly underneath the purple. 
After the purple paint dried, I added some gloss spray and now it's all done! 


bitchin'.


Also, for The Daily Dose, I've decided to include all types of media... news, pictures, videos, anything. If you have anything to suggest for a Daily Dose feel free to let me know! If we're friends, send it to me on Facebook, or you can email me at Quirkability@Gmail.com.

For today's Daily Dose, here's my favorite comedy troupe, Picnicface. They are the makers of the "Powerthirst" videos, as well as several other hilarious skits. 
This one is called "High-Five Portal". Enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. I have been looking for something to make for the candle lovers in my family! THANK YOU SO MUCH! Your BLOG IS AWESOME! And I gave you a upvote! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww, thank you sophia! i really appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these ideas are AWESOME!
    Tried my hand at making the frosted votives today... but after taking off the rubber bands it did not look as crisp as yours does. Are there any tricks to this? Made two and had the same problem.
    Maybe I'm not letting them dry long enough?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!
    As far as the frosted votives, the main thing is to make sure the rubber bands are flat on the glass before you spray them. Other than that, I did notice that the purple one I made didn't look nearly as nice as the white one. Maybe it has something to do with the darker colors. What colors did you try?
    Another idea, which may take a few extra minutes, would be to tape the glass off instead of using rubber bands.
    Also, I let mine dry for a few hours while I worked on other projects, so as long as the paint looked and felt dry, it should be fine to pull the bands off. I did have some rough edges on some parts, but i just scraped those off gently with a toothpick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for replying so fast.
    I just used the frosted spray paint.. but i'm thinking my problem is I'm not letting it dry enough. I only let it sit for around 20-30 minutes before I took the tape off.
    Just ran out and bought some tape.. will be trying it with the tape later on today. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete