2.03.2012

DIY Friday! (3 TUTORIALS!!)

Hey everyone! I hope you were all looking forward to this week's DIY Friday, because I have three quick tutorials to brighten up your weekend!! 




HOMEMADE MOD PODGE


The first of this terrific tutorial trio is Homemade Mod Podge! I've seen this idea floating around the internet, and since I use A LOT of this and don't have A LOT of money to spend on it (It's about $8 for a decent sized bottle!), I figured this was a perfect tutorial to share! 


What you will need: 

  • A Jar with a lid 
  • Elmer's Glue 
  • Water
  • 1-2 tablespoons gloss varnish (optional)
Can you believe that? That's all you need for this project! 

Now, the quantities in which you buy these materials are up to you, it just depends on how much you want to make. Also, any old jar will do, as long as it has a lid. You don't want it to dry out! I just used a spaghetti sauce jar that I had cleaned out and taken the label off of. 

First, fill the jar halfway up with your Elmer's glue. 
Then, fill it the rest of the way up with water! 
When you pour in the water, don't just dump it all in at once. You want to watch out and make sure you don't dilute it TOO much with the water. Just add about 1/4 of the water, put the lid on, shake up the contents in the jar, and then check it. Repeat that until it is the consistency of regular Mod Podge. 

So far, you've made the MATTE Mod Podge. If you want it to be GLOSSY Mod Podge, add in 1-2 tablespoon of gloss varnish. That's it!

I went the extra mile and decorated my jar as well. I used scrapbook paper and cut it into a strip to fit around the jar, and then tried out my new homemade Mod Podge to seal on the label! It has held up just the same as the real Mod Podge would, and I couldn't be happier! 

I also found a baggy full of googly eyes, so I decided to paint the lid of my jar gold and turned it into Mr. Mod Podge at the last second. 

hehehe.



GLOW JARS


The second tutorial I have for you is DIY glow jars! This has been a project I've been wanting to do since I first started my Pinterest account... it was one of the first things I ever pinned! If you are doing this project with a child, make sure that an adult is handling the glowsticks, especially after cutting them. Although it is non-toxic, it shouldn't be digested or anywhere near your nose, mouth, eyes, etc. Also be careful about getting the liquid on fabrics or clothes...pretty much anything other than the paper towel. It can stain it. 

What you will need
  • Jars
  • Glowsticks
  • Scissors
  • Paper towels (to catch any glowstick drippings)
  • Water (optional)
(hint: if you have labels on your jars, warm water and a sponge
will get them off easily!)



 Once you have your materials together, hold the glowstick over the paper towel, and CAREFULLY snip off the end of the glowstick. Try to hold it as upright as possible, so you don't spill any of the glowing liquid.


I know this picture contradicts what I just told you about
holding it upright, but this one had already been drained. :)

After you snip off the end of the glowstick, pour the liquid into the jar and carefully slosh it around a bit. you want to coat the insides of the jar with the glowing liquid. 
I have read elsewhere that adding a bit of water into the jar as well will help the glow last longer.

Finally, put the lid on and VOILA! You've got a glow jar. 

I thought mine looked pretty neat in front of this
wall decoration a friend made me. It's a Fight Club
reference, and it says "I am Jack's smirking revenge"



GLITTER NAILS


My third and final tutorial for today is for glitter nails! This tutorial is by far the easiest, and requires the least amount of materials. 

What you will need: 
  • Glitter
  • Clear nail polish


Start off with clean nails, and one finger at a time, swipe on your clear polish. 
Before the clear coat dries, sprinkle on the glitter of your choice! I chose a dark purple fine glitter that came in this little glitter caddy from Wally World.

Don't be shy with the application of the glitter, you can use a little at the tip of your nail (a favorite style of mine), or you can sprinkle a little at the base of the nail near the cuticle, or you can go all out like I did and do the entire nail! It's up to you!

Once you have done this to all of your nails, and they are dry, shake off any extra glitter that remains, and wipe off any that may have gotten onto your hands/fingers with a damp paper towel or washcloth.

When your hands are clean, finish off with 1-2 clear topcoats and you're all set! 

it's clear the mountain dew kicked in as i was preparing this post.


I better see everyone sporting glitter nails this weekend!!


xoxo, 
Meagan

1 comment:

  1. Nope, this is my first time trying this, but thank you for the info! I will keep that in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete