6.18.2012

DIY Tuxedo Nails!

So, I meant to do this tutorial this weekend, but I had to work overtime on Saturday, so my Sunday was spent laying in the pool, drinking wine and relaxing.
As far as my "Music Monday" post goes, I will be posting a playlist tomorrow instead. Witty Wednesday will be on it's normal day. 

DIY Tuxedo Nails

Keep in mind for this tutorial that I am NOT a manicure professional by any means, and
I tend to get nail polish all over my cuticles when I paint them. If that happens to you too, the easiest way to get rid of it is after you've completely finished painting them... take a q-tip and dip it in nail polish remover, then use that to carefully get the nail polish off around your nails. be cautious and don't bump the q-tip into your freshly painted nails, or you will have a dilemma.


Also, apologies for the photo quality. Bad lighting & bad camera. Both of those will be fixed soon.


On to the tutorial!

This week I decided I wanted to class up my nails, and drew inspiration from Zooey Deschanel's lovely tuxedo nails.




What you will need: 
  • white nail polish
  • dark grey/black nail polish 
  • clear topcoat
  • toothpicks
  • wax paper/paper plate/plastic baggy... something to pour a little puddle of nail polish onto.

Step 1: Paint your nails white. 
(Keep in mind you don't have to make ALL of them tuxedos! At first, I did them all, but after bumping my hand against something while the nails were still wet and messing them up, I decided to paint them all purple except for my middle finger on each hand, which still bears a tux. :)   )


Step 2: Pour out a dime-sized puddle of your black nail polish onto wax paper. Using one end of the toothpick, dip it into the black polish and make 3 dots in the center of the nail, extending from the bottom to about 2/3 of the way up the nail.



Step 3: Use the toothpick to create a triangle with the point going towards the center of the nail. 


Step 4: Repeat triangle on the other side, and add a small dot of polish to the center of the triangles, to complete the bow-tie.


Step 5: Add the topcoat and let nails dry. 

As you may have noticed, I did my tuxedos in the opposite direction as Zooey, but I prefer them my way. Obviously, you can do it the other way if you prefer the look of hers more. It's up to you! 

I'm just glad I can flip people off now and still feel classy doing it.

xoxo, 
Meagan

No comments:

Post a Comment