3.29.2013

DIY Catch-All / Jewelry Display


Alright, homies. Today we're making a catch-all (i.e.: something by the door to throw your keys and stuff in when you come home or to display little trinkets that don't fit anywhere else. I also thought it would be cute as a jewelry display, to hold rings/earrings/bracelets, etc.

I got three of these 3-compartment shadowboxes as part of a craft supply gift a couple Christmases ago. They have been sitting around for ages because I hadn't thought of anything to use them for.
I should add a disclaimer, this is not so much a tutorial, but more of an idea-starter. Is that a thing? I don't know.

Here we go!

WHAT I USED:
acrylic paints in white, black gloss, and neon yellow/pink/green
paintbrushes
hand sander w/ 600 grit sandpaper
wooden shadowbox
(not pictured) gloss polyurethane varnish


First step (optional): Depending on the wooden shadowbox you have, you may have to sand it. I did. Just get some sandpaper and rub it on that thing 'til it's smooth, okay? 

Next comes the primer. Basically, just get some white paint and paint the entire thing. Pretty simple.


When the primer is dry (should take about 5-20 minutes, depending on how thick a coat you put on) you can paint the compartments however you like. I did neon. So...yeah. Just paint it. I did several coats of each color (5-6, i believe). Then I used my black gloss paint for the sides, the top edges and the bottom. Once that was dry, I went over the entire thing, inside and out, with my gloss varnish. Once that is dry, put some stuff in there! DUH.



Oh yeah, here's one I did while I was watching all 3 Toy Story movies last weekend... not like my color palette reflects what I was doing or anything...

Yep. Pretty simple. Hope this post gets your painting engines revving and I can inspire you to make some cute catch-alls of your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment